<body> <body>

(I) want to be part of the Make It Right For A Better Ride;
Sunday, March 18, 2012
1:11 PM

LET'S DO IT - BE PART OF MAKE IT RIGHT FOR A BETTER RIDE!

If you don't already know the 'Graciousness on Public Transport' programme, it is time you got to know it. Remember the catchy jingle, “Train is coming, train is coming, train is coming!!!~ Please start queuing! Love your ride!” It reminds us that we must be gracious to one another while on public transport. This time, you will read calligraphies, poems and reflections from fellow commuters on how to make our journeys more pleasant.



Now it's my turn to share my reflections based on my commuting experience... I can easily list 5 inconsiderate actions that people do on public transport that annoy every one of us;

✘ Hogging empty seats
✘ Crowding at the doorways
✘ Talking loudly
✘ Leaning on the handrails
✘ Sticking their legs out when seated

...but NO! I'm not here to share the inconsiderate actions of these people. Why would I want to share the wrong actions of others when I got the most precious experience to share. A small experience can touch our heart.

And so it goes...

A lady in her late 20s were sitting on the priority seat by the window. An elderly woman boarded the bus and sat next to her on the priority aisle seat. A few stops later, a primary school student, who was carrying a heavy bag on her back and a big box in her hands, boarded the bus. She walked over and stood next to me.

At that moment, the elderly woman immediately stood up and offered her seat to the schoolgirl. Who would have thought this would happen. The priority seat belongs to the elderly but she kindly offered to let the schoolgirl have it. Without a doubt, the schoolgirl acknowledged the gesture with a smile and declined the offer politely. The lady in her late 20s observed this scene that prompted her to give up her seat. The schoolgirl accepted and said 'Thank You!' with a grateful heart.

Always remember,

"No kind action ever stops with itself. One kind action leads to another. Good example is followed. A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees. The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves."


I who witnessed the heartwarming scene that I described here remember it as I still do. It made me reflect upon the gracious action that led to another. At that time, I also learnt that it is not always about what is ours but who need it most as the elderly woman gave up her priority seat to the schoolgirl who needed it badly.

There is no reason why I won't share such considerate actions. Hence, I instantly shared this most precious experience with my followers on Twitter.


Acting, observing and reflecting, therefore usually leads to another.

If you put yourself in the scene, you will also learnt the importance of action, observation and reflection. The elderly woman who made the first move prompted the lady in her 20s who was observing the scene to reciprocate and give up her seat. I, on the other hand, was reflecting and sharing on this heartwarming scene.


With that said, I'm sharing one of my favorite posters;


I truly agree with Christina Chen's words on "When you travel with others in mind, the journey will be peaceful and enjoyable. We need to look out for each other and make our journey safe.

Last but not least, I hope this shared experience will not only make you smile but remind us to act considerately and graciously towards all.

Do your part and make our journeys more pleasant! You will make public transport better for society as a whole - Be considerate and gracious! Just remember - ACTION LEADS TO VICTORY!

Now, let's take a minute to show your support for the 'Graciousness on Public Transport' programme...

Join the “Make It Right For A Better Ride” Twitter contest and stand to win a pair of movie tickets! More details on http://on.fb.me/betterride

Labels:




jqMEow |

be happy.
love life.

+齐meow
09 July 1990

Typical ♋ian;
I'm a suffering soul and sometimes lose control of my emotions. I need you to be understanding and not give up on me.

I don't want to own anything until I know I've found the place where me and things belong together.

✉ tan.jiaqi@live.com

Nuffnang |


Connections |



DAYSilove |

1-1-20eleventh
Facial Expressions ◭
Let's do it every year!
Awe Night at Marina Barrage
It all begins with a smile...
MEESKA MOOSKA MICKEY MOUSE
KEEP IN MIND!

VIDEOSilove |

01 02 03 04

Yesterdays |